There is nothing more stressful for a parent than to see your child go through a difficult situation. Whether your child is withdrawn or depressed, anxious, defiant, or distressed over peer conflicts, it is hard to always know what to do to help. Counseling can help children and adolescents who are experiencing difficulties with their emotions or behavior.
Therapy provides a safe setting for you and your child to develop ways to cope with problems and to feel better over time. I help children and teens utilize their unique qualities and strengths to find solutions to problems, enhance their relationships, build skills and confidence, and develop a healthy sense of self. Playing, drawing, building, pretending, as well as talking, are important ways children and teens can share feelings and resolve problems.
A range of issues can be treated including:
- Family transitions such as divorce, adoption, blending families
- Anxiety; depression, stress management
- Peer relationship difficulties, bullying victim
- Dealing with illness, grief, loss
- Self-esteem issues, social-relational issues, social skills, performance anxiety
- Spiritual or identity issues
- Lack of focus, restlessness, hyperactivity
- Poor academic achievement
- Trauma and other upsetting events
- Parent-child relationship strengthening, communication, and discipline
- Relocation, separation or attachment difficulties
Counseling children and teens necessarily involves the family in the healing process. As part of the initial consultation, I will meet with the parents/guardians to determine the need for counseling, based on such things as the child’s current problems, history, level of development, ability to cooperate with treatment, and what interventions are most likely to help with the presenting concerns. I will meet individually with the child or adolescent and also periodically with the parents alone or whole family together to get a more comprehensive understanding of the context and contributing factors. Then we’ll work together to create an environment supportive of the healthy changes needed to help your child to function and feel better.
Early intervention in a teen or child’s struggle can curtail their suffering and potentially prevent a problem from becoming a lifelong struggle. Let’s collaborate to get your child smiling again.
Contact me here or give me a call to schedule.